View Single Post
Old December 23rd 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:37:17 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:17:21 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Over a Beer ( surprising huh ) with Mocho he mentioned the 27B water ballast tanks. He said if they get a leak you have to tear into the wing to fix them.
Are they prone to leaking?

Nick- My memory of that conversation (and those beers) is that I said the Ventus tanks sometimes need that kind of repair. I know of two Ventuses that had to have leaky tanks fixed. Never heard of the problem with the ASW-27.

Must have been more than a few beers. How unusual!
Had various problems with water ballast tanks and fittings in AS, SH, JS, LS. Tanks are really great - until they suck.
My input on the original question, I won't buy another side-hinge canopy (left over from the 70s). Not as user-friendly while rigging, putting stuff in the glider or getting in and out. Ask your reapair station how many Schempp canopy hinges they've fixed versus others.
Personally not keen on single-pin rigging either.
But if you're really after a Ventus 2, get a 2Cx so you won't later wish you did.
Jim

Funny thing about that single pin rigging. When sliding a single-pin in on a SH I wish it had two pins. But when struggling to put two bunt end pins in an AS I sure miss the single pin.

Rolladen-Schneider knew how to make pins!
Using the Steve Bralla rigging aid Mark Mocho now sells, the 27/28/29 is easy.
Jim