Old February 26th 04, 11:48 PM
Bill Daniels

"Roger Felton" wrote in message
In *theory* the "standard" 7.5 AH battery will power your transponder for

8+
hours. Sealed Lead Acid batteries rarely achieve their advertised capacity

in
ideal conditions even when new. Now age that battery for a year or two.

Throw in
some repeated deep discharges. Now cold soak the battery for a few hours

at
altitude. I think you'll find that your 7.5 AH battery has something more

like 4
AH (or less) useable capacity.

Not my experience but then I buy a new battery each season for less than the
price of a tow. Then I treat the new battery carefully so it does put out
the full rated AH. (Recharge it immediately, don't leave it charging all
week and top charge just before the flight.)

Bill Daniels