Old March 2nd 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

On Mar 2, 12:18 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Earl" wrote

Rob said his tank had developed a leak. That would mean that there had
been gasoline in the tank. I don't think anyone would suggest welding
a used metal tank, how could it be any safer with a plastic one?

Doh! I realized that, right after I hit send. I'm sure I would not have
done that if it were sitting there in front of me!

When I said "welded" in my original reply I had.assumed thatmost would
take that as the "normal" method of welding plastic - with a plastic
welder that uses hot air.

Assumptions generaly BITE!

As for the idea of red silisone - don't. Been there done that. Gave
up the practice many years ago. No matter how small an amount you use
the gas wil eventually swell it up and leak through. A waste of time
and materials - IMHO