Old January 1st 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11:25 PM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

I have a GoPro Hero HD and love it. Simply start the camera rolling before takeoff and let it run. However, if you plan on turning the camera on and off during the flight then you probably want to get the new Hero2 or Hero3 with the remote capability. It can be a bit "fiddly" to start and stop the Hero HD. The Hero2 and 3 have remote control options either with a dedicated remote control or smartphone control that allow much easier camera control. Plus, you can check the video feed in real time to be sure the camera is mounted level, pointed the way you want it, etc.

And, of course, the quality of the video from the whole GoPro line is superb.

Robert