Old June 21st 04, 07:36 PM
James Hart

Henry J Cobb wrote:
David E. Powell wrote:
If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers? Certainly something on the order of B-1B as far as airframe
might be a goal, or something less radical. It depends on their
budget and requirements, I guess. From bases in Europe they could
cover much of Africa, the Middle East, etc.

Of course if they wanted to go somewhere with fighters they might
need escort, etc.

Actually the EU member states have carefully studied the relative
effectiveness of the USN and USAF and most have concluded that the
correct platforms for power projection in the future will be carriers
and submarines. ;-)

....and in a typical EU way of thinking the French vetoed the subs, the Brits
vetoed the carriers and the whole thing went to a vote. The net result is
that a committee came up with the conclusion that combining both roles would
be best so we'll shortly be announcing carrier subs as the new EU
peacekeeping fleet, to be manned by the Austrian navy.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk