Old February 9th 04, 10:09 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Cruise clearance allows you to operate freely between the specified
altitude and the minimum IFR altitude. If the lower limit is not the
MIA, then a block clearance is issued. At least that is my
understanding.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"AES/newspost" wrote in message
[...]
Anyway, I'm assuming that "Jackpot 1243" wanted to move up and down
freely between 39,000 and 41,000 feet seeking smoothest ride and best
fuel economy without having to make repeated requests

Sounds like a "cruise clearance". Not sure why those words weren't used in
the request. There are any number of reasons to request a cruise clearance,
but a common one is if there's some sort of mountain wave action going on,
making it desirable to "go with the flow" as the wave alternately causes
ascents and descents.

2000' isn't a heck of wide range for that purpose, granted. But neither
would it be for the purpose of finding a smooth ride. Changing altitude
repeatedly isn't good for fuel economy, so I don't think that was the
purpose either.

Pete