Old September 1st 03, 04:26 AM
Juvat

Default F-4 vs S-3..."sea story" or 17 Nov 83 TAF Losses

Yesterday I was flying with a former S-3 "Hoover" guy...he told a "sea
story" where a pair of Allied F-4s and an S-3 were hassling over the
Med. He thought they were Greek.

Anyway...the story basically has the S-3 heading toward the water in a
steep dive (evasive maneuver) with both F-4s in trail...S-3 deploys
his spoilers and pulls out while the pair of Phantoms mort themselves
(literally) in the Med.

What I do know so far...the Greek AF has not lost two F-4s on the same
day, so they're ruled out. But the Turkish Air Force did lose two on
17 Nov 83 with apparently four fatalities. I was in USAFE at the time
but don't recall anything about the nature of their loss.

Comments?