Old January 2nd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default wiring

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
.. .
G Landing Gear
GA Actuator
GB Retraction
GC Warning Device (Horn)
GD Light Switches
GE Indicator Lights

----------much snipped for brevity----------
S Radar

U Misc Electronic
UA IFF (xpndr)

W Warning and Emergency
WA Flare Release
WB Chip Detector
WC Fire Detection System

X AC Power

Well, that wasn't so hard--Jerry

This appears to be from an older military aircraft, but there are lists
available. Two pretty good places to start are ATA Spec 2200 (which
includes ATA Spec 100) and AC 43.13 1B. The FAA Advisory circular is
available for free download, but is nearly 700 pages and, if you are
actually building something, you would do well to purchase the hard copy
version form the Government Printing Office! By the way, the same advisory
circular also includes very detailed instructions on rib stitching (a/k/a
rib lacing which was discussed here in a recent thread) as well as wire
bundle installation, lacing, and repair.

I have run out of "time to kill" on subjects of personal curiosity for the
day; but the wire numbering information for almost any aircraft will appear
in the maintenance manual.

Since this is a homebuilding group, each of us is the "manufacturer" and is
free to work out our own numbering scheme including any prefixes and
suffixes. However, since I have found that I lack creativity in such
matters, I would be inclined to look in the manual for a similar type of
certified aircraft--and might suggest that buying a few beers for a friendly
mechanic. I would further suggest that a good candidate might be the same
mechanic you intend to use for your inspections during the construction
process.

That way you could get the appropriate couple of pages copied for a couple
of appropriate certified aircraft. Of course, you will still want that
complete hard copy of AC 43.13 for the rest of the information...

Peter