Old November 27th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Is FLARM helpful?

With all due respect, it should go without saying that if you are going to quote someone, do not later paraphrase with a completely new meaning!!!! What I said is "shouldn't preserving life be our highest goal". I did not say nor did I mean what you later paraphrased as "We should not avoid risk as our highest goal". Those are your words intentional miscontrueing plain simple English that I clearly communicated to anyone with a fourth grade education! Thank you very much.

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 9:45:06 AM UTC-8, Jim White wrote:
At 06:34 27 November 2015, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Shouldn't preserving life be our highest goal, even more important than
win=
ning a contest or being annoyed by the theoretical possibility of someone
l=
eaching for a few thermals? =20

..Jim White wrote:

...Competition in gliders is inherently dangerous. But, Flarm or not, it is
not probable that you will have a fatal accident. Competition pilots weigh
up risk all the time and understand that by taking part they are taking a
risk.

The risk is small and made smaller by the use of Flarm. We should not avoid
risk as our highest goal. We should aim to collectively enjoy the sport
with an appropriate level of risk - mitigated by Flarm....

Jim