Old July 28th 03, 07:28 PM
Gil G.

Default Pre-Rotator Powered by Compressed Air?

On 27 Jul 2003 12:19:57 -0700, (sanman) wrote:

Hi,

I'd done some reading about pre-rotators for gyroplanes which can be
used to give them a jump takeoff. I was wondering if any of them have
tried using compressed gas to power the pre-rotator?

I got the idea after reading these links:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question133.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/988265.stm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/air-car.htm
http://www.evworld.com/databases/sho...=news190503-04

Gee, now that I think about it, why couldn't compressed air even be
used to power the gyroplane pusher prop during regular flight?

An onboard compressor could even be used to compress air into the
cylinder in the first place. Liquified nitrogen gas can store a lot of
energy, pressure-wise -- more so than what a battery could store. That
compressor could be reversible as a motor.

Hello,

I think the tank would be too heavy to take along... However, I am
thinking that a scuba tank could be used with a regulator and quick
disconnect system to prerotate the rotor, then disconnect the air hose
and immediately start the take-off.

Still not very practical, since you don't get to take the tank with
you..

Gil.
--
http://planenews.com