Old May 20th 04, 06:10 PM
Stan Gosnell

wrote in :

If you don't have a pretty good idea of where you are likely to encounter
IMC en route, you haven't done a very good job of flight planning. If you
have, then a composite flight plan works quite well.

This isn't always the case by any means. I've had forecasts of good VFR and
found 100/.25 at my destination. I've been flying in good VFR and had the
sky fall on me. Weather forecasting is a guess at best, and the weather
guessers occasionally guess wrong. It is obviously good practice to get a
thorough weather briefing and have a good idea of what the patterns are and
what is likely to occur where, but Mother Nature doesn't always play nicely,
and sometimes presents us with unpleasant surprises. I can't begin to count
the number of surprises I've had in 36 years of flying.

--
Regards,

Stan