Old July 30th 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:33:20 -0400, "Glen in Orlando"
wrote:

yEnc might indeed be a better way to compress and post picture files.... so
what? Isn't the point of posting your photo's
to share it with a wide audience?

Nope. It is just to share it with those who want to see them enough
to download them and use appropriate software to decode them. I would
expect to do as much if I really wanted somethinbg. I don't expect
others to spoon feed me.

yEnc is, for the most part, more difficult to use.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Agent, for one, is easier to use
than OE (based on my own personal experience), and it handles yEnc
without you even knowing it is handling it. Try it...you'll see.

The masses tend to use
only a few popular programs for news groups (yes.. the most popular is OE).

Agent is very popular too, though it can't compete with Microsoft's
pre-installed stuff

It sure seems silly, and a grand waste of time, to insist on posting in a
format that the VAST majority of your audience cannot access.

That's also a crap statement you can't possibly support unless you've
queried every member of this group (whuch isn't really a group in the
sociological sense and doesn't really have members). Interestingly,
Jeremy Nixon, who wrote a famous analysis called "Why yEnc is bad for
Usenet", also wrote that "yEnc has taken over as the main encoding
scheme used in binary Usenet groups" and he wrote that in 2002--five
years ago. I don't know if he's right about yEnc's prevalence, but it
certainly is a differenmt view than yours.

It realy doesn't waste my time.... but it sure seems like a waste of
yours...

It's funny too, that most people who act like such big shots on an anonymous
forum would probably crap themselves trying to mount the courage to speak
this way to each other in person.

I couldn't agree more. People seem quick to tell me what to do. But
again, that's another way in which this is not a real group--the
interaction takes place behind various facades.

Like I said, yEnc, Jpeg, fingerpaint.... whatever makes you happy.... It
just seems so...... dumb.

Glen in Orlando