Old September 20th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default iPhone in a glider?

In article Darryl Ramm writes:

As pilot in command of a non-IFR flight I grant myself permission to
use all kinds of electronic toys in flight. So that gets rid of FAA
concerns.

Sounds good. It has long worked for me, too.

However my belief is that 47 CFR. 22.925 does apply to the
iPhone since it is quad-band GSM that uses the GSM 850MHz band in the
USA. If you have say a different brand PCS phone that exclusively uses
1800MHz then this would not apply to you.

Perhaps not, because some call those PCS instead of cellphones, but I don't
know what the FCC's reaction would be. I would not want to be explaining it
when they are pointing out some definition in another part of the rules that
says cell phone covers both...

I'm not going to use anything that does not talk to an external flight
computer, e.g. for extended NEMA sentences for improved wind
calculations etc. and I want to be sure my IGC logger is working OK so
getting the GPS from it is a way to test this. Also I really don't
want to mess with my iPhone as the display device in my glider, it's
my phone that gets messed with a lot.

How true. A well integrated system could reduce pilot workload and increase
safety. The iPhone is cute, and a system one could use on the ground to play
with would be fun, but it really doesn't fit well into a fully integrated flight
and nav computer.

Alan