Old July 26th 03, 02:30 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, what sorts of changes did the editor want? I'm an editor as well as a
writer whose stuff is subject to editing, and there are certain strictures
magazines require to reflect their style. Some of these strictures make
sense but sometimes an editor wants changes just to show the writer who

has
the real power.

Um, let's see if I can remember. I think they wanted me to "expand a bit
more about the old man's life" (impossible, since he's long gone), and they
wanted to remove any reference to the hotel (they saw it as self-serving,
although, of course, the whole reason I KNEW the guy was because I was
picking him up, dropping him off, and letting him use my hotel van), and a
couple of other little things.

I just told them "never mind." Since I'm not doing this for money, I don't
really care WHAT the editor thinks -- if they like it, great. If they don't
like it, great. No difference to me!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA