Old October 30th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default I got buzzed!!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
:

Snipola
The combination of a Merlin V1650-7 and a Hamilton or Aero Products
propeller at between 35 and 45 inches and between 2700 and 3000 RPM have a
sound so distinctive that many who have heard it never forget it.
You could fly 1000 airplanes with 1 P51 included in the mix somewhere
directly over my head with me blind folded and I'd pick out the 51 in a
nano-second :-)
Dudley Henriques

I've seen 51's at air shows, but they were always passing across
my field of view some distance away. I've got one of those high
quality sound effects CD's that has some warbird passes. But in
none of these have I heard this howl. I don't know how to describe
it. It was surreal and unreal. I'm not kidding when I said the
hair on the back of my neck stood up. My very first thought was,
"that's not what screeching tires sounds like!" Being on a motorcycle,
strange sounds get my attention really fast. It scared the willies
out of me for that split second before I realized what it was, but
I drove away with a big grin on my face.

I'd love to experience that again!

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?