Old August 13th 04, 12:52 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, Peter Duniho posted:
"Neil Gould" wrote in message
[...]
IOW, the controller's job is to insure spacing.

*At the runway*. Elsewhere, it is up to the pilots in command to
ensure traffic avoidance.

In order to do that, all aircraft in controlled airspace are "controlled".

[...]
And you may be right that the controller should be fired if they
create such a situation, but if you don't follow the controller's
instruction and wind up dead, who do you think is going to feel
worse? You, or the controller? I know I'd rather be fired than dead.

No argument, there.

Whatever else you may think about the situation, it's a serious
problem when a controller issues an instruction that is simply not
even comprehended. In this case, the instruction used a standard
phrase, so the error was the pilot's.

I agree. I'm not defending the decision to fly 30 degrees off-center to
the threshold. But, I do wonder whether we have all the information that
would allow us to reach a conclusion that it was an error, as opposed to a
poor choice? There are more than a few airports where it would be
inadvisable, if not impossible to execute such an instruction by a strict
interpretation of the AIM's descriptions of "Straight in". That may be why
it appears in there and not in the FARs? If it's not in the FARs, it's at
least a point of discussion rather than an infraction.

Neil