Old July 18th 05, 04:42 PM
Andy L.

I did get a $29 Logitech joystick from Target and that works worlds better
than my old one.

Thanks for all the input,
Andy

"Luke Scharf" wrote in message
Andy L. wrote:
I am using a fairly old joystick (read: cheap) and is plugged into the
gameport. I could go to a USB but currently I only have 1.1. I have been
planning to put a 2.0 card in and then I could use that.

The traditional joysticks use an analog-to-digital chip and, depending on
the quality of your sound card (they're usually embedded into the sound
card chipset), the quality of the control can be very hit-or-miss. Also,
the whole calibration procedure (suggested by someone else) is designed to
make up for electrical and mechanical differences between joystick.

Do you have any other joysticks that you can try?

Alternatively, a cheap USB joystick might just solve the problem entirely.
Also, USB joysticks get very little benefit from doing the calibration
procedure, since the analog-to-digital unit is inside the joystick and was
calibrated to match the potentiometer when the joystick was built (or
maybe the "calibration" is done when joystick was designed?).

Analog joysticks are a throwback from the '80s. The joystick ports were
fun to play with, though, I was but an electronics-minded adolescent...
:-)

-Luke