Old March 18th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default American Mariner as aircraft target?

----------
In article , John Szalay
wrote:

Hahn, Herbert Paul, "American Mariner"
a documentary biography of her role as: Liberty Ship, Training Ship,
Missile Instrumentation Ship, Mystery Ship, Test Target. Published 1990
by American Merchant Marine Museum Foundation, Kings Point, New York.
ISBN 1-879180-00-6.

Yeah, I've ordered that through Amazon Merchants. I'm hoping that I can
find out who authored it and if I can get access to the photos.

I've got a short article on the T-AGM Vandenberg appearing on the web on
Monday. The Vandenberg will be sunk as an artificial reef later this year.

USAF American Mariner

Any idea about this designation? Was it a temporary designation while she
was undergoing conversion, or did the USAF actually operate ships with that
designation? I would assume that any ships that the USAF operated were
under contractors.