View Single Post
Old January 22nd 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

They said in a news post on Jan 21 ( http://sgp.aero/finals2017/news_add_...mas-reich.aspx ) that they informed them after the prize-giving: "The news of Tomas death was relayed to the competitors and organisers at Vitacura a short time after the closing ceremony of the contest" so it sounds like no one there knew. They were probably watching the race to see if they could find out what happened - I would have too.

As for the accident during the practice period, they posted a video of the recovery on YouTube on Jan 14 and in the comments said: "We are delighted that Klaus is ok and recovering, probably partly due to the safety cockpit structure of his JS1 sailplane and the bushy area he hard landed in. We will keep you updated during and after the world GP Chile 2018."
They did mention during a grid walk video that the pilot was watching from his hospital bed and was awaiting medical flight back home, but nothing more was said...

On the YouTube commentary one contributor mentioned at one glider was damaged on the third last day on landing. I don't know if that happened (it wasn't reported), but the glider didn't fly the last two days.

Accident reporting, in my opinion, is important. I understand that it is difficult while trying to attract a wider audience, but being more open will prevent a reporter sensationalizing what would likely be termed 'an accident reporting cover-up'. In Kawa's book "Sky Full of Heat" p 76: "... when you read the accounts or official reports of accidents, you question yourself and consider what you would have done in a similar situation." Where are these accident reports for SGP? By the way, section 1.6 "Why are you still alive?" starting on p 72 of the English translation is a must-read.

I know FAI/IGC do some safety videos of problems seen in contests - I saw one when crewing at the first Pan American Glider Championships 2015 on a mid-air collision (didn't say which one; gliders were anonymized) at a previous level 1 or 2 competition. It is unfortunate that they don't release such videos for contest organizers to use for safety talks unless it is at a L1 or 2 contest (I asked). It would be valuable for FAI/IGC to create a public place where all the glider pilots could benefit from the accounts. These lessons are paid for with the blood of our friends.