Old October 13th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RK Henry

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:28:47 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I've flown the Hudson corridor many times. Piece of cake if you keep your
eyes open, listen (and talk) on the radio, and the fan keeps running (you'll
get wet real fast if it stops). The East river's a different animal. Dead
end and narrow. I've never gone up it because I'm not convinced that I
could turn (or would be willing to bank to the necessary angle) sharply
enough at low altitude to get out again. My first thought after hearing
that they were cruising on the river in a considerably faster airplane than
mine was "They went up the East river?!" Could they simply have run out of
room?

Can you slow down to make the turn? You could use some of the same
techniques they teach for handling granite box canyons to deal with
paper box canyons, couldn't you?