Old February 19th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Gene Whitt is back on line

I would think that proper leaning should be part of the
first solo flight prep and certainly before any sol x-c.
With fuel costs at $40 an hours, saving fuel is a big
pay-back.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"rps" wrote in message
oups.com...
| 15 engine outs? That has to be a record!
|
| The closest I came to an engine out was a fuel starvation
situation
| when I was a student pilot many moons ago. For my long
solo X-country,
| I planned the flight carefully so that I would have more
than 60
| minutes of fuel upon returning. However, after the plane
was refueled
| upon my final landing at my starting point, the owner of
the plane (who
| also ran the flight school) informed me that I was close
to zero fuel.
| He knew because he refueled the plane to near full
capacity!

| We determined that this happened because I had not leaned
the engine,
| but used performance figures from the POH that required
proper leaning!
| My instructor (I was his first student after he received
his CFI