Old February 4th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default A Pilot Gives Thanks

Ben Jackson writes:

Almost every NTSB report that involves the failure of an airplane system
that could have been mitigated by the pilot, no matter how terrible the
user interface, is ultimately blamed on the pilot. In that particular
report there's even a discussion of the steps the pilot could have taken
to fix the runaway trim condition, so I didn't expect them to give the
pilot any slack just because he was busy using both hands and all his
strength to keep the nose up...

It's ultimately blamed on the pilot because if the pilot doesn't do
everything possible, he'll probably be killed. Saying that it was
really not the pilot's fault doesn't help much if he's dead.

In other words, a pilot should do everything he can to save himself,
whether the interface is good or not.