Old April 5th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

You can go directly to "GlidePort.Aero" and become a registered user. This will allow an "info" tab which explains most of the features. To see animation you must click the "play" button in the bottom right of the map screen. You can animate in real time or speed the action up as much as 15x I believe. Of course you'll have to slide the time cursor back to playback at a faster speed as the fast forward doesn't make the actual glider fly 1500 knots!

Myself and Pedja have written how to articles in Soaring but I don't know the months off hand. For the app, iPhone uses Glide Track. Im afraid to state the droid app off the Top of my head but I'm sure you can google Sailplane tracking in the App Store.

I agree we all want effort free Tracking live and in technicolor. I have people call sometimes asking why thier glider isn't showing up. It turns out they fly a 1-26 with a ball vario and no tracking device what so ever.
Come on guys. You have to put a little effort in to get some results! NBC is not going to climb in our gliders and provide live TV coverage of whatever flight you might be interested in at the moment. We have come a long way in four years and have a ways to go. But I can guarantee you that if you want to have Tracking you yourself will have to invest an hour or so learning the system. My parents call me terribly upset that their email icon has disappeared. It's usually a few inches away from the usual spot. Those type of frustrations I can not solve.

Lane