Old July 19th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_5_]

Default Checkride Wednesday...followup to: "Tips for Commercial GliderCheckride?"

Don Byrer wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:35:45 -0400, Don Byrer
wrote:

Checkride this Wed Afternoon...

Well...ummm...

Yes I passed !!!!!!!!

and i was fussing a lot about nothing

Oral went well...

Except for having a brain fart on how to explain thermals...which I
thoroughly understand...just could NOT explain it for some
reason...but we got there in the end.

"OK, let's go fly"

Tow to 3K, pinned on the towplane , best box the wake ever, slow
flight w/turns, stalls straight/turning, steep turns (got a hair fast
but called it and corrected), tried to thermal but nada, etc. At
1800 AGL we were almost done. "Bring it home and give me a slip to
land & an accuracy landing". Slip was good...plunked it down on the
runway hard but on the right spot and the aircraft was still useable
Definitely the hardest landing I ever made, though, quite
embarrassing.

I had a bunch of recent "rope breaks" + a release on the ground , so I
guess that's why I didn't get one on the checkride.

Now to learn how to REALLY fly a Glider

--Don

Congratulations! Thanks for the report.

Shawn