Old August 20th 03, 04:43 PM
Stan Gosnell

(Snowbird) wrote in
om:

Can you give specifics of what you bought? I'd like to make
a set of headset cord extensions (need stereo though)

It's a curly cord, a little shorter than most headset cords, & larger in
diameter. It has 3 conductors plus a shield, which gives 4 conductors in
all - 2 for the mike, 2 for the speakers. I don't have a particular part
number, because I threw the packaging material away after I bought it.
Radio Shack used to carry what I needed; they had a CB microphone
replacement cord, which had 5 conductors, more than I needed but exactly
what you would need for stereo, but they no longer stock it. I had to go
to a real electronics supply store. Any curly cord with 5 or more
conductors will work for your stereo extension, if you're using a mike, and
3 or more if it's listen only. Or if you can live without the curl, you
can get some straight cord with the same number of conductors cheaper.
Radio Shack should have that. The plugs & jacks may be harder to find -
check the electronics supply place, & if they don't have it, try an
avionics shop. The earphone plug is a standard 1/4" stereo plug & jack,
but the mike is a different size. I don't often need these, since
helicopters use a single U174 plug for both mike & speakers.

--
Regards,

Stan