Old February 24th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default How many landings will aircraft tires hold?

On Feb 20, 7:38*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

It's not the landings that kill tires. It's the braking forces. Pilots
who land long and/or fast will use a lot of brake to try to stop the
airplane, and braking scrubs rubber off real quick even if the tire
isn't "skidding."

Dan

Ummmmm.... ...where did you learn this?

I am the Director of Aircraft Maintenance for a flight school. Eight
airplanes. I was also a flight instructor for some time and still hold
a Commercial ticket. When we start teaching short-field landings, the
tires suffer. Ordinary circuit work isn't nearly hard on them unless
the landings are crabbed. 38 years around airplanes teaches one some
things, I would think.

A retired airline pilot told me the same thing: The tires on the big
birds suffer more from braking than the touchdown.

Dan