Old December 24th 04, 03:40 PM
Dude

Default CHT recommendations

I had an odd thought while flying yesterday.

Traditionally, we have had CHT info on one cylinder. Now, many planes have
monitors that tell us all 4 or 6 cylinders.

I have been trying to keep all my cylinders under 400 as I believe most of
us are doing. However, I had a thought about that number. Is that a number
that is best for all cylinders, or was it a number that had a buffer built
in because you never new what the other cylinders were really doing?

IOW are we now running too conservatively? My number 2 cylinder wants to
run up to 405 or 410 when the rest are at 385 (75 ROP, 1425 EGT). I have
done EVERYTHING except take out the jug to figure this out. One AP noted
that I would never have been aware of this without the engine monitor and
queried whether we were possibly being too worried about it.