Old February 1st 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rckchp

Default Flyability of Biplane Flying Boat

I can't recall the particulars, but I remember seeing a biplane flying
boat at Sun n Fun years ago. It actually was an aluminum boat (I think
it was a 14' jon boat) with a set of biplane wings grafted on... I
think with a tail boom mounted empanage. I also think it had
retractible wheels for land ops. Maybe some other reader can add
details?

On Jan 26, 4:32*am, durabol wrote:
I have been working on a biplane flying boat (similar to some in the
early 1900s). Rough weight estimates a fuselage/tail/controls 200,
Rotax 503/5Gal fuel 150, wings 150, me 225 = 725 gross. The reason for
the biplane configuration is for the large wing area (250sq.ft) I feel
will be needed to get off the water. Any opinion on whether this will
work? Perhaps I could get by with less wing area? I would also like
tandem seating if the design can handle the extra weight.

Brock