Old May 19th 04, 03:04 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Hankal) wrote:

If you know the tops are at 5200', then why not request 6000'?

Would have to request 7000. Flying 090.
Since I am only 40 miles from the destination I just do not want to climb
another 2000 feet.

If your goal is to be able to fly at 5300, the most simple thing would
probably be to ask for a block altitude: "request 5000 block 6000". If
approved, this lets you fly at any altitude from 5000 to 6000
(inclusive).

A clearance of "cruise 6000" would let you do that same thing, but
unless you're in an area where cruise clearances are routinely issued,
it's unlikely the controller will be willing to give you that (mostly
because he probably doesn't remember the details of how it works any
more than I do).