Old May 20th 14, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:40:51 AM UTC+12, Bill D wrote:
However, I think your implied point is that if a pilot tries a turn, the aircraft will be out of control. Obviously, I disagree. If a pilot can't retain control while making a simple 180 degree turn, the situation was dire long before the emergency arose.

Exactly.

The good news is gliders can turn back with generous safety margins. The wild card is the pilot.

Let's just emphasise this again.

If the rope breaks at normal aerotow speed, you should be able to complete a 180º turn and be at normal safe final approach speed with as much or more height as the moment the rope broke.

The glider can. Easily.