Old September 3rd 03, 01:57 PM
Steve House

Hate to sound dense but how do you fly an NDB approach without an ADF?

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
nk.net...
As a geezer who learned to fly "blind" with needle, ball and airspeed I

can
say that in a slow, stable aircraft, that those are enough for rather
precise instrument flight. I can still fly a respectable partial panel

NDB
approach with just those instruments + an altimeter. (BTW, I HATE a turn
coordinator.)

For me an attitude indicator and a DG are just icing on the cake.

Bill Daniels

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
You need the turn needle, ball, and airspeed at bare minumum.
And you'll have to be sharp to fly IMC under those conditions.

If I were planning to fly like this, I'd equip the thing
properly. Make it easier to stay alive...

Richard

Dick wrote:

Let me change that from "any thoughts" to "any helpful" thoughts G.

"Dick" wrote in message
m...
Staring at my empty instrument panel while considering which

instruments
and
their placement, I got wondering how old time Mail pilots flew if

caught
in
IFR conditions.

On my project plane, I'm considering just a airspeed/altitude/ ball

&
tube
slip (no needle) indicator/compass setup in order to avoid the

venturi
or
vacuum pump setup. Since I consider "electric" too expensive and

wondered
whether a dome style compass might be the key??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick -Lakeland, Florida