Old February 25th 21, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On 2/25/2021 9:49 AM, kinsell wrote:
I see another Silent 2 just popped up on the market, that makes four
plus one recently sold.Â* Garret suggests you might want to aerotow or
winch launch to conserve battery power.Â* When I see these things with a
dozen hours on them up for sale, it suggests that the owners aren't that
thrilled with what they got for their money.

The Silent 2 is an interesting bird.
I've got friends that love it, and others that have sold it on.
Some owners have had to replace battery packs, newer packs
are reported OK - but this is 2nd or 3rd hand info.
More importantly, its got very limited energy, so if you
self-launch, not much in the tank to get home.
Because of its limited performance, you can't just skip
over gaps that higher performance machines take for granted,
and a bit of headwind is a big obstacle.

So, if it can do what you need with your weather and site
constraints, great! But work through carefully whether it
meets your needs.

FWIW...
Best Regards, Dave