View Single Post
Old March 2nd 21, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default 2022 SSA Convention?

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 9:56:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
Things appear to be improving for air travel, borders, vaccination, and I'm wondering if there have been decisions on whether there will be a 2022 Convention, in the spring, and, if yes, its location? The links on the SSA webpage still go to Little Rock 2020 ( I went to both LR conventions, the 2020 was less icy).

2D

Should know soon as negotiations are in progress. Warm and sunny would be nice, but I doubt the vendors would bring gliders to Aruba;^). Some don't like March because it's the start of XC and contest season in many areas. I've asked that the show be extended by a day to include Weds so we can add some workshops, roundtables, presentations, and perhaps hold the board and EXCOM meetings earlier. We'll see.

Little Rock was a great venue but attendance fell a little short. Some venues are just flat out too expensive, others too small as 90,000-110,000 sqft are needed for vendors and sailplanes, plus meeting and meal rooms. We took a serious look at Florida, but the hotel costs were too high, though SSA would have received a substantial kick-back, the concern was that many wouldn't come due to the high cost of lodging.

Hopefully by 2022, people will be confident in traveling and attending.

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, R9