Old March 4th 21, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

Mark Mocho wrote on 3/4/2021 11:55 AM:
Energy density is the "elephant in the room" that determines a lot about electric vs. internal combustion. The Tesla S uses a 100 kWh battery that weighs 1,375 lbs. 100 kWh is approximately the same energy contained in 2.1 gallons of AvGas. So, you have a 2 gallon capacity (about 13 lbs.) in a 1,375 lb. container. Makes perfect sense to me. NOT!

And we aren't even bringing up the environmental impact of producing the battery and then disposing of it when its life is used up.

There seems to be an anomaly with your numbers: The 100 kWh battery delivers about 400 miles of
range. How is it possible to go that far on the equivalent of 2.1 gallons of Av Gas?

And yet, wouldn't you love to have access to a Tesla S? I know I would! I was an engineer
during my working years, and even I don't buy energy density when I choose a car (or glider),
and neither do pilots looking for a self-launching glider. And obviously, they are finding what
they like, despite the energy density disparity.