Old March 6th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

Herbert Kilian wrote on 3/6/2021 7:13 AM:
Still, you are lucky to get 50-100 cycles out of the now listed 50-80C LiPo batteries we fly in RC. Nothing on the horizon that even promises a doubling of capacity. Give me a self-launcher that replaces the tow plane (2k-3k launch) and lets me replace the low cost but fire-safe batteries easily. I'd be interested.

The glider discharge currents are nowhere near 50-80 times capacity, but more in the 4C range,
so the number of cycles should be much higher; also, you would rarely go to full discharge
(more like 20%-40%) during each flight, which also increases cycle life substantially.

I'm not sure what "replace easily" means: if daily to swap out batteries for charging, then the
fuselage mounted batteries like the FES gliders or Jonkers JS3 RES (mast mounted motor) is what
you need; if it's replacing worn-out batteries every 5-10+ years, I think all of them allow
that in less than a day.