Old December 13th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

Default Twin Comanche vs. Mooney/other singles

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is some scuttlebutt that the plane is a widowmaker, but I don't
know the reason, though an acquaintance of mine died in one. I believe
the NTSB decided that he mismanaged the fuel transfer while flying an
instrument approach in snow, which may have nothing to do with the
flying characteristics.

With respect, you must get that sorted long time BEFORE the end of the
flight. Fuel transfer should not be an
issue is this plane, as far as I know its the simpliest of all, might be
wrong though. I have no experience with
TwinCO at all, only flying some seminoles but I believe the fuel system is
the same.

I think it depends how much you fly it. A twin requires an extra layer
of competence, apart from double the engine maintenance cost.
Remember, if you lose an engine on takeoff and are not current in
engine-out procedures, the second engine will just take you to the
scene of the crash.

yes, thats why you need to stay current. I read an article about a guy who
took off below VMC all the time... he ended
up dead when an engine quit on takeoff. I am not a gambler, but everyone
makes mistakes.