Old April 27th 04, 11:57 AM
Marcel Duenner

Robert Ehrlich wrote in message ...
George Vranek wrote:

A low cost ACW based on GPS will be tested in Switzerland. See www.flarm.com

George

Numerous attempts were made in this domain. My brother proposed the
design of a such device as a project for students working on a
degree in electronics. Two members of my club designed and made
a cheap system which in not an anti-collision device but just a
position reporting system, but could easily converted into an anti-
collison system. But the problem with all these attempts is to
find an available radio frequency for the data transmission. The
above cited device, according to the WEB page, uses a frequency
in the "SRD-band". I don't know what it is, but the same page
says that its usage is free ON THE GROUND. I doubt that the same
will be true when used for air to air transmission, I am quite
sure that in France at least this is forbidden, as for any
frequency not explicitly allowed for air to air transmission.

This is true for almost anywhere in Europe. But the restrictions do
not have technical reasons AFAIK.
Therefor it should not be a real problem to get it legalised for this
special purpose. Nowadays anything is possible if you just say the
word "safety". The makers are pretty confident in this.

Marcel

Why walk when you can soar?