Old April 21st 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Carb Heat

On 20 Apr, 23:22, wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 10:03:06 -0700, wrote:

I heard, somewhere, that if you apply full carb heat and then
immediately lower the collective (on R22s and 44s)this can cause the
engine to run rough and in extreme cases can even cause engine
failure.I s there any evidence for this or is it just a silly rumour?
I have, up until now, always pulled on full carb heat just before
descending now I wait a few seconds before lowering the collective.

You should always wait to give the heat time to melt any ice that
might be present. If you lower the collective immediately, you might
not have given the ice any time to melt which might lead to a stalled
engine.

Regards.

Jan

Thanks Jan, that makes sense. So what you are saying that the
carburettor is more prone to icing when using less power?