Old January 19th 19, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Grob SB's

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 6:15:16 PM UTC-8, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 20:20 18 January 2019, Papa3 wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 6:02:45 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie

wrote:

How much, if anything is there in common between the fixed u/c

mounting
structure in a Twin Astir and an Acro II?

Just a thought inspired by the apparent ease with which the

early Libelle

201s could be converted from fixed to retractable u/c.

Completely different animals. A number of owners have

investigated this,
and it's not a simple issue at all. The structure is completely

different
as well as the mechanicals of the wheel, mounts, etc.

Several operators I know of have pinned the gear in the down and

locked
position. We'd all love to reshape the rear seatpan, but it's

integral
to the structure and would require an engineered solution.

We have 2 Twin Astir 1 Trainers with factory sprung fixed gear with
a disc brake. The rear seat stays the same. I think the wheel
location is a couple of inches forward of the one in the RG Twin 1's
because the tail is heavier to lift. I don't think that even if Lindner
has the spare Trainer gear parts, that they want to provide a retrofit
kit to convert a regular Twin into a Trainer.

RO

There is a Twin Astir here that is modified so the gear does not retract. The gear handle only operates the gear warning. I may see the owner on Monday.
Jim