Old January 11th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME

Default Departure Question

In article ,
says...

VOR-DME wrote:

I thank you, and the previous poster for these regulatory citations,
which help to clarify. I actually did check my AIM before initiating
this thread, and did not find any of this language indicating pilot's
perogative to adhere to the ODP. My AIM is 2008. Has this language
appeared or disappeared recently?

No, it's been there for quite some time.

The previously cited phrase :
"...ODPs are recommended for obstruction clearance
and may be flown without ATC clearance unless an alternate departure
procedure (SID or radar vector) has been specifically assigned by ATC. "

is not in my 2008 AIM.
Had it been, I would not have started this thread.

All ODPs are created for terrain or obstacle clearance purposes, that's the
"O" in ODP. It's just that they will only be assigned if doing so assists
in separation between aircraft.

Got it. I took the word "assigned" to mean "created" as in the ODP would never
have been created except for aircraft separation purposes. My reading mistake.