Old December 5th 03, 08:55 PM
Bart D. Hull

Scott,

I was the person that saw the 4P with the 3 Rotor Mazda at Copperstate. It
looked like it was just finished and still was in primer. A few details needed
to be cleaned up but it looked like it was built solidly.

Any questions a person who just "took a look" could answer for you just write
me at my email address.

Bart

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Scott VanderVeen wrote:
Since the hub area of the prop is "supposed" to be stationary, why can't
the hub area of the CF blades be wrapped in multiple layers of CF and then
bolted on as a "One piece" prop. Granted the individual blades couldn't be
removed later, but the price for three blades appears that replacing them
all at once would still be cost effective?

Also - anyone have more info on the 3 Rotor, 4P at Copperstate?

Scott V.

H-U-G-E four bangers like the Lyc. IO-360 need very ridgid props
because they induce oposing "bang" vibration and can shake the prop
out of alignment. Ivo will not sell a prop for Lyc IO-360. There is no
problem with 6's because they are MUCH smoother - about 120 degrees
out of phase compared to 180 degrees of a four banger. Just compare
any 4 cylinder car and 6 cylinder of similar size for smoothnes.

Smaller engines like 0-320 do not produce as much vibration because of
their smaller size. IVO props really like the 220HP Franklin because,
in addition to being a 6, it has a fluid vibration damper system built
into the flywheel - very smooth engine. Thats what I have in my plane.
A smoother engine has important benefits - longer parts life due to
less vibration. A lot of parts failures can be traced to vibration.