Old April 3rd 05, 07:11 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:36:42 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

While I'm on a rant, there is a sense in this ng that the manufacturer's
maintenance manual must be in the area where an annual or 100 hour is
performed. I can find no such requirement in part 43 or part 65.

Part 43 says that the maintenance manual procedures must be followed. Part
65 says that the mechanic must understand the procedures in the manual.
Nowhere that I can find requires the manual to be on site during an
inspection OR repair.

Playing devil's advocate here, Jim, 43.13 says "Each person performing
maintenance...shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the
current manufacturer's maintenance manual...." As you say, though, it does not
specifically require the manuals to be on-site.

If you're working on a component, and one of the FAA guys sticks his nose in and
asks, "What's the required torque for that part?", it seems to me that unless
you have the number memorized or the manuals handy, the FAA guy can claim you
are not complying with 43.13. If you get a *real* FAAshole, he could request
you describe the entire maintenance procedure and dock you if you say anything
less than a verbatim quote from the manual.

But what do I know...the maintenance manual for my Fly Baby consists of a
post-it note with the words, "feex airplain" written in crayon....

Ron Wanttaja