Old November 8th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

I post this 8 minute video with the hopes others can share tips on
what they do to make first time passengers comfortable on their first
flight. Comments here or in the video most appreciated.

Video starts with me explaining the process from startup, to runup,
take off, cruise and landing trying to keep things in "English" Video
also includes in-flight reactions from the passenger.

Couple of things to note about the passenger. She is not a roller
coaster ride and doen't like heights. Because of this, I modified my
flying to half standard rate turns whenever possible and a steeper
then normal approach to not feel so close to the tree tops on short
final.

Interestingly enough, the camera doesn't show the "bouncing" but that
was due to me putting in flaps and transitioning from 10 knots winds
aloft to calm on the ground. Rather then explain "wind-shear", I just
blamed it on the smog: We had very, very minimal turbulence, something
seasoned GA passengers wouldn't think about but looking at her, she
was kinda getting green around the gills.

Video also includes intercom and ATC communications with a
"sightseeing request" from me to fly over my house.

While not her favorite thing she has done in life, she was ok with
it. Given a "goal" to go to New Orleans, I think she would go, but to
go boring holes in the sky, I don't think I will see her in the right
seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDNuuakA5o