Old February 22nd 04, 04:26 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
R. David Steele writes:

| They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
| version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
|
|Umm, not 30 x 2000 lb bombs. 30 x SDBs (small diameter bombs), that weigh
|about 265 lbs each.

Yes, I checked that out
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...raft/fb-22.htm

| Also why not market the C-17 to the air freight community?
|
|Because the C-17 couldn't compete in the mainstream commercial air freight
|business. Costs way too much when compared to 747s and such.

From what I have read, the C-17 should be cost effective. After
all the design costs are already paid for. And it is far less
expensive to run than the C-5.

But it it more cost-effective than the Il-76s and An-224s that are
already in the market? Those have been already built & paid for.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster