Old December 25th 05, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation,rec.aviation.student

Default Needed: comparison of popular Aviation GPS units, Garmin, Lowrance,AvMap, etc.

Andrew Gideon wrote:
wrote:

Garmin 480 (not as intuitive as the Garmin 530, but the 480 will do LPV
now, not later).

Why "not as intuitive"? I've yet to fly behind a 480, but my club's
aircraft all have 430s. I'm confortable with them, but I'd not call the
interface "intuitive".

Is it perhaps that you learned the Garmin units first? I didn't (my first
IFRing behind a GPS was the BK units in new Cessnas), and that may make the
difference.

No, I learned in a 767 first. The 530 was a pretty easy transition for
me. I will admit that I haven't gotten nearly as deeply into the 480.
But, everyone I chatted with who has mastered the 480 likes it, and the
airway database/LPV makes it great. I don't know the level of
difficulty of entering airways. I do know that all these G/A panel
mounts, with all their knob twisting, is much more difficult than
entering data on a FMS.

I *am* eager, though, to hear about flying behind a 480 wrt flight plan
entry. The ability to enter flight plans as we've always described them
(waypoint, airway, waypoint, airway...) seems like a fantastic
"innovation".

Is it as good as it sounds?

- Andrew