Old February 6th 05, 12:04 AM
Steven Barnes

I just ask for an area briefing for x mile radius from my home airport. 3k &
6k winds aloft are fine. Gimmie any TFRs, closed airports, closed runways,
etc. Of course, I can get that from DUATS, but I like a briefer telling me
about TFRs. Central IL.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

There are days (like today) where the idea is just to fly the airplane.

No
specific destination, but if something looks interesting on the ground, or
if I need a Diet Coke or feel the need to unload one, I may land at any of

dozen nearby airfields... How do you explain this to a FSS briefer?

Here's
the discussion I had with the FSS this morning (more or less):

Me to the Briefer: Good Morning, I'll be flying N46KB an Experimental

RV-6
today, VFR. Departing at 9:00 local, returning by 3:00 PM, Flying over
North Georgia and East Alabama. Requesting Standard Briefing...

Briefer: What is your destination and cruise altitude?

Me: I don't really have either one. I'm just going flying.

Briefer: I need an altitude so I can provide winds aloft.

Me: I don't really need winds aloft.

Briefer getting frustrated: But it only takes a second. How about 3 &

6k
ft?

Me: I don't really need the information, but go ahead.

Briefer..... Blah, blah, blah at 3 and 6..

Briefer: Also, I need your destination...

And this continued for the next five minutes....

Is there a way to escape this? What I really needed was "VFR projected

over
that area all day long, No TFR's or Notams, surface winds out of the NE

10
knots. Have a nice day."

KB