Old April 26th 04, 03:19 AM
Gerry Caron

"Rhett" wrote in message
. 198...
Just wanted to add a correction after doing a little experimenting and
researching.

About the Routing Issues:

The problem with poor turn-by-turn routing detail in Automotive Mode
probably has to do with the MapSource MetroGuide version I'm using.
Apparently Garmin has hobbled this software so that it will only let you
route on the PC, and the routing data is not sent to the GPS itself (I

love
the logic of this). So what I was seeing was the unit trying to route

with
its "Routable Base-Map" only.

MetroGuide doesn't support autorouting, even if it's in a unit that has
autorouting capability. The MetroGuide database was never set up to support
autorouting. It ain't hobbled. It's what came with the original
StreetPilot and other units that were not capable of autorouting. You could
manually build a route on a PC and download it, but it was a pain.

As you found out, the 296 (and 196, which is what I have) has a routable
base map. You need CitySelect if you want to autoroute to an address
that's not in the base map. You can use CitySelect to autoroute on the PC
and download the route along with the maps, or you can autoroute on the
196/296. It's easier to use on the PC for a complex route. In a pinch,
autorouting on the 196/296 is fine, but it's harder to tweak the route. On
longer trips, I often tweak the route since the autoroute makes its choices
using a set of rules. In several cases, personal knowledge of the roads
allows me to pick a 'better' route (in my opinion,anyway.)

Anyway, a different version of MapSource will probably do the trick; I'm
going to pick up City Select tomorrow (although I hate having to go

through
the process of calling them to unlock the thing after I already paid for

it
in the first place).

It's no big deal about the unlock. When you install the s/w, it will prompt
you thru an on-line registration and then take you to the unlock page on
their web site. Follow the instructions and type in the 'coupon code' that
came with the unit. Print out the page that has the resulting 'unlock code'
and keep it with your manual/CD (you'll need it if you re-install the SW
later on). If everything went right, it should have unlocked your SW.
Worst case, you'll have to cut and paste or type the unlock code into a
dialog box to finish the unlock process. The manual makes it sound more
complicated than it is.

As a side note, while the Map Source MetroGuide USA I have will generate a
decent route on the PC and send it to the GPS, some of the info is lost,
including the street names. So you end up with directions like "Turn Left
on 041" instead of the street name. I'm not sure if this is expected or
not (still on 2.40 of the firmware). Anyway, don't buy MetroGuide for

this
unit.

Agreed, MetroGuide was never intended to be used with the 196/296.
CitySelect works just fine. It does keep road names, but it does
occasionally have problems with transitional roads. Sometimes it will
display, "Turn right onto ramp." Other times it will display, "Turn right
onto road." Once you turn, it then displays the correct name at the top.

The one thing I learned to watch when driving is the distance to turn,
especially when the side street or exits are close together off a major
road. You can get your first beep with the prompt quite a distance before
the turn and then another beep at the turn. On some roads, there can be one
or more turns before the one you want. Watching the 'Distance to turn'
makes it easier to get in the turn lane for the correct exit.

Gerry