Old October 30th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gregory Hall

Default Lancair Legacy Design Flaw?

"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
. ..

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
http://www.youngeagles.org/photos/gallery/Monoplanes/LancairLegacy2000.jpg

Look at the picture. It's easy to see why the Lancair is dangerous. The
horizontal stabilizers appear to be on the too small side. This would
result in their stalling before the wing. Then the aircraft would pitch
up making the main wing stall. Ill-conceived, IMO.

I find your strange posting to be quite offensive in its serious charges
which are totally unfounded. As others have already pointed out, you are
fundamentally incorrect about the purpose of the horizontal stabilizer.
The horizontal tail holds the nose up, not down. Your assertion about the
Legacy's stall recovery just makes no sense at all.

I think it makes good sense. Look at the size of that engine up front. Looks
like a P-51 Mustang for pity sake. When you're being pulled along by that
big prop and heavy, powerful engine it pulls the nose of the aircraft down.
The horizontal stabilizers have to counteract this force by putting an
upward force on the nose by pushing the tail down. If and when the engine
suddenly dies the aircraft will pitch up suddenly and since the size of the
stabilizers are so puny they might easily stall and be unable to counteract
the upward pitch at the nose resulting in a tail down death spiral.

By the way, the Lancair Legacy is the most fun civilian airplane I've
flown and is the main reason I returned to general aviation after a
decades-long absence. I'm sure there is a Legacy near you and I'll bet
its pilot would be happy to take you for a ride. You can see for yourself
what a great airplane it is.

It looks too much like an irresponsible, hot rod, stunt plane to me. Is it
any wonder so many companies offering homebuilt aircraft have gone out of
business?

http://www.homebuilt.org/aircraft/nolonger.html

This is the safest homebuilt IMO.(VariEze ). The canard makes it foolproof.

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...77166441&hl=en

--
Gregory Hall