Old September 25th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

Default Some tailwheel questions/comments

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Never flown a Husky, but what you learned in the cub will get you into
anyting else with relative ease if you've absorbed what the cub taught
you.

It's still teaching me as I continue to work on perfecting my technique.
After a couple thousand hours in tricycle gear airplanes, I'm finding that
just going around the pattern chasing that painted-on 3-pointer is more fun
than I could have imagined. Who would have thought that this little 1940's
vintage 85HP airplane with no electrical system could be so challenging and
so much fun?!

You've learned to get the stick back to the stop during rollout ,
hopefully.(actualy, in a cub you have to have it there as you touch down
or you end up porpoising down the runway, eh? ) If you weren't attentive
to the rudder you ended up going backwards. What else do you need to
know? It teaches you what your feet are for and makes you look like an
idiot if you don't!

I have to smile reading this. I'm flying from a grass strip that's less
than smooth in spots and I was getting lazy holding the stick all the way
back on the stop during the rollout. Finally, my instructor turns around
and laughingly says to me "You're gonna lose it one of these times if you
keep letting the stick bounce like that." That cured me of that little bad
habit right then and there.

Even a Pitts isn't such a big step up if you have mastered a cub (as
opposed to having jus survived a few hours in a Cub)

I'm no longer just surviving but I also know I haven't quite mastered it
yet.

I still haven't flown a better training airplane.

The best part is that my wife absolutely loves flying in the thing,
especially with the door and window open. What a blast!

BDS