Old April 28th 05, 07:02 AM
Peter Duniho

"Rich S." wrote in message
[...]
Gas that is not blended for altitude and or season (temperature) can make
the fan stop turning. In your car, you likely bought gas that was intended
for use at Lake Tahoe and/or in temps over 100° F.

That's silly. We have driven a Suburban, with its 42 gallon tank, all over
the US, including Lake Tahoe. We bought the fuel we rode into Tahoe on at
least 500 miles away, not far above sea level, in the desert. Many times,
fuel purchased in one locale took us right into a place with completely
different characteristics (altitude, temperature, whatever).

I wouldn't be surprised to find there are road vehicles with even greater
range (the actual range of our Suburban is about 800 miles, but we didn't
roll into Lake Tahoe on fumes, of course). In fact, I'm pretty sure the
hybrids do, and I know at least two that have been driven on long trips.
Never heard any complaints about gas troubles there either.

I've seen the "well, but the auto gas is specially formulated for the region
in which it's sold" line before. It just doesn't hold up to common sense
and personal experience. If the gas *is* specially formulated, then using
it in the "wrong" place certainly doesn't cause anything so serious as
engine stoppage, or even any significant performance difference (ie,
noticeable by the driver).

Pete